February 9, 2016
|Driven to Distraction – Part 2 of 2
|It scares me to death the way a lot of drivers shave, put on makeup -- even curl their hair while driving. You too?
Shaving, fixing hair, talking on the car phone, nattering at the children, gossiping with passengers, even meditating or chanting--all of these can make the big difference between arriving at your planned destination versus "Dead On Arrival" at the morgue. Inattention behind the wheel is just as bad as drunken driving. It is an immutable law of the road that: Distraction leads to destruction.
Here are a few simple rules to avoid the tragic consequences of inattention:
- Shaving, applying makeup, brushing hair and teeth, getting dressed--should all be done before you get into your car.
- Get to bed early on work days and allow extra time to get to work when you're expected.
- Assume that 90% of the other drivers got up on the wrong side of bed and are grouchy. Don't let road rage -- theirs or yours -- ruin your day, or
maybe your life.
- Do not use your vanity mirrors for more than a momentary look.
- You're not going to do it, but I'm going to say it anyway; pull over and park when using your cell phone.
- Do not be distracted by others as well as yourself. Even if you see a woman shaving, a man putting on lipstick, or a bevy of underwear models getting dressed in an SUV, remember that driving is serious business and keep your attention on the road.
For more daily tips:
Health Tip by HealthScout.com
Romantic Tip by LovingYou.com
Garden Tip by Garden.com